The very first manifestations of psoriasis often appear on the head, then spreading throughout the body. Psoriasis on the head occurs with itching and the risk of bacterial complications. If you suspect the psoriatic nature of the rashes, you should immediately consult a doctor - the disease responds well to treatment at the very beginning. The article contains all the information about the symptoms and all known treatments for this form of the disease.
Causes of psoriasis on the head
This is a chronic non-contagious dermatological process that develops in individuals with a hereditary predisposition. The causes of psoriasis on the head and the mechanism of its development are not fully understood. But it has been established that the process develops against the background of metabolic and immune disorders. The body loses control over the division of skin epithelial cells: they begin to divide much faster. Just as quickly, signs of keratinization appear, manifested in the form of peeling. At the same time, inflammatory processes develop in the skin.
Main cause of scalp psoriasisis a hereditary predisposition. Scientists are trying to identify the genes responsible for the transmission of the disease from generation to generation. Separate altered areas have already been established, related to different genes, found in patients and their close relatives.
But a person who has a genetic predisposition does not necessarily get sick. Equally important are external and internal predisposing factors. Psoriasis of the scalp begins in genetically predisposed individuals due to exposure to the following factors:
- mechanical irritation of the skin (with a hair brush with hard teeth; injury to small wounds and crusts that appear with seborrhea, etc. );
- cold exposure;
- transferred infectious diseases; often after streptococcal impetigo - purulent rashes mainly on the skin of the face; develops in children and becomes an impetus for the development of an autoimmune process;
- chronic stress and high loads;
- frequent smoking, alcohol abuse;
- diet disorders - irregular malnutrition dry food, excessive consumption of high-calorie foods and hot spices;
- with hormonal disorders that affect the state of the sebaceous glands of the skin - obesity, imbalance of sex hormones, diabetes mellitus, diseases of the thyroid gland, pituitary gland, hypothalamus;
- in diseases of the liver and kidneys with impaired function of these organs; toxins are neutralized in the liver, and they are excreted from the body through the kidneys; intoxication can become a starting point in the development of the disease.
Under the influence of one or more factors, the interaction of the organism with the environment is disrupted. Protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism is disturbed, which causes the acceleration of metabolic processes in the skin and its peeling.
Psoriasis of any localization can spread throughout the body, so do not delay treatment.
Changes in the immune system are manifested in the form of increased sensitivity of the skin to any external influences (in addition to combing or frequent hair coloring). In response to such influences, antibodies are produced to their own cells, provoking the occurrence of an autoimmune inflammatory process. The reasons why inflammation begins are not yet fully understood. This is one of the priorities of medicine in the direction of the treatment of psoriasis.
Symptoms of psoriasis of the scalp
Psoriasis on the head manifests itself in the form of characteristic symptoms. The disease can begin acutely with multiple rashes (vulgar form of psoriasis) or gradually with itching and flaking of the skin, and only then characteristic rashes appear (seborrheic form).
More frequent onset is gradual, in the form of dandruff and flaking. In the early stages, these are small areas in the occipital region. Peeling spreads to larger areas and itching begins. Constant scratching of the skin contributes to its coarsening and the appearance of abrasions. What does scalp psoriasis look like? The initial symptoms of psoriasis on the head in the photo look like this:
In the area of scratches and abrasions, redness first appears, and then small inflammatory nodules and papules, surrounded by a bright rim rising above the surface of the skin. Accompanied by severe itching, the rashes increase in size and merge with each other. The features of the rashes are:
- white "shavings" covering the papules; when scraped, it resembles a stearin speck; in the seborrheic form, the scales are yellowish in color and the phenomenon of the stearin spot is not so pronounced;
- if you scrape off all the "chips", a smooth translucent surface opens;
- further scraping leads to the appearance of droplets of blood on the surface - "blood dew".
In the photo, three signs look like this:
These three characteristic manifestations distinguish scalp psoriasis from seborrheic dermatitis, with which it is easily confused. In the future, the papules merge and form psoriatic plaques, which have a different configuration and sometimes spread to the entire surface of the head.
The course of psoriasis of the scalp can be mild with the appearance of single rashes at the initial stage. These rashes then go through all three stages of development. In severe form, rashes occupy the entire significant area and spread to the face and neck in the form of a crown - an inflammatory rim covered with silvery scales. The hair roots do not suffer, but a bacterial, fungal or mixed infection often joins the psoriatic process, which leads to complications that are not so easy to cure. This is what the crown looks like:
Stages of psoriasis on the head
The disease proceeds for a long time, exacerbations are replaced by remissions. The frequency of exacerbations and the severity of symptoms depend on the presence of provoking factors.
Rash and inflammation spread, accompanied by intense itching. In the initial stage, there is a symptom of Koebner - the appearance of psoriatic rashes at the site of scratches and abrasions.
The process is in the same state, not spreading, but not fading either.
The process gradually subsides, the itching disappears, the rash turns pale, the inflammatory infiltrate decreases, gradually acquiring the appearance of a spot; the color of the rashes turns pale, starting from the center, forming ring-shaped figures with a brighter border. Sometimes they begin to turn pale from the periphery to the center and then take the form of whitish rings (a symptom of psoriasis on the head is Voronov's pseudoatrophy). The healing phase can take quite a long time and gradually only white depigmented spots remain on the skin.
Methods of treatment of psoriasis on the head
Psoriasis of the scalp requires systematic treatment under the supervision of a physician. Of decisive importance is a mobile lifestyle, quitting smoking and alcohol, dieting. It is necessary to treat the disease in a complex way, to apply techniques taking into account the characteristics of the patient's body. Complex therapy can include modern European methods, drug treatment, as well as oriental methods proven for centuries. Such treatment can immediately significantly improve the patient's condition and lead to the development of a stable remission within a few weeks.
PRP - therapy - the method is based on the ability of platelets (red platelets) to secrete a growth factor that stimulates the regenerative abilities of cells. By centrifugation, the patient's blood is enriched with platelets and then injected pointwise into the scalp. The technique can significantly accelerate the onset of remission and prevent the development of relapses.
Autohemotherapy - treatment is carried out by intramuscular injection of a small amount of blood taken from the patient's vein. This has a general stimulating effect, restores the epithelium of the head. After treatment, a stable remission is observed.
Reflexology is the impact in various ways on special points on the body, reflexively associated with organs and tissues. One of the most ancient and effective traditional methods of treatment. Impact on the points can be carried out by acupuncture (acupuncture), cauterization, massage, etc. Treatment of psoriasis on the head with these methods has been practiced in oriental medicine for thousands of years. Treatments are performed by a reflexologist.
Vacuum therapy - the effect of rarefied air on biologically active points - is one of the methods of reflexology. It can be carried out using cans or special equipment. Promotes rapid recovery of altered tissues. As a result of the use of vacuum therapy, the affected areas are significantly reduced.
Phytotherapy - dermatologists widely use medicinal plants in their practice in the form of infusions, decoctions and ready-made pharmaceutical forms. When used correctly as part of complex treatment, they are very effective both in the initial stages of the disease and in its long-term forms. If you add phytotherapy, the effectiveness of other methods of treatment increases, the risk of developing undesirable drug effects decreases.
Treatment of psoriasis on the head in the clinic
In a specialized clinic, this disease is treated by dermatologists who are trained and clinically experienced in treating this disease with all currently known methods. In their work, they use new Western methods of medical treatment in combination with traditional Eastern methods that have been successfully used by doctors of ancient China and Tibet for thousands of years.
To avoid relapse, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the disease
Professional clinics use a variety of methods with an individual approach to each patient. Several complexes of traditional methods in combination with drug treatment can permanently save the patient from problems with the skin of the scalp.
The effectiveness of treatment in the clinic is noted in their comments and reviews not only by patients who regularly receive supportive treatment, but also by colleagues from other Moscow clinics.
Prevention of psoriasis on the head
Prevention of psoriasis on the head is especially necessary for people with a hereditary predisposition who have sick relatives. It includes eliminating the impact of the following factors:
- any prolonged exposure to the skin;
- malnutrition and sedentary lifestyle;
- prolonged stress and heavy loads;
- smoking and alcohol abuse;
- hormonal disorders - if such disorders are suspected, you should immediately contact an endocrinologist;
- intoxication - in time to treat all chronic diseases that contribute to impaired metabolism and immunity.
A dermatologist can tell you how to cure psoriasis on the head after an examination. Therefore, you should not delay with the advice of a specialist, because the initial stages of the disease are much easier to treat. Can we cure this process? It is completely impossible to cure the disease, but if a person is treated regularly, there is a great opportunity to get rid of relapses for a long time.
Diet for head psoriasis?
There is no special diet, but the treatment of scalp psoriasis involves proper 4 meals a day containing all the ingredients necessary for the body in the diet. Foods that irritate the skin should not be present on the table:
- spicy, salty, sour;
- fruits rich in essential oils (fresh garlic and onions, radish);
- fried, smoked, canned foods;
- caffeinated drinks - strong tea, coffee, coca-cola, etc. ;
- alcoholic beverages - they contribute to the development of relapses of the disease.
It has been established that meat food provokes an exacerbation, so the diet should contain more foods containing complex carbohydrates, lean meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.
Drug therapy for scalp psoriasis?
Medicines are selected in accordance with the patient's condition and the presence of certain symptoms of the disease. In the initial stage of psoriasis on the head, the following external agents are used:
- when wet, solutions and creams are prescribed that eliminate these symptoms and prevent bacterial and fungal infections;
- if the skin is dry, then it is treated with ointments; ointment with salicylic acid - has a softening effect; ointments with tar have the same effect; ointments with zinc and an analog of vitamin D3 + glucocorticoid betamethasone help a lot - it helps to quickly eliminate the symptoms of psoriasis;
- ointments and creams with corticosteroid hormones are prescribed in the treatment of common forms of psoriasis on the head;
- shampoos are widely used; so, tar shampoos relieve inflammation, soften crusts; shampoo with zinc has an antiseptic and softening effect, relieves inflammation; shampoos have been used for a long time.
Folk remedies for psoriasis on the head?
Is it possible to treat psoriasis of the scalp with folk remedies? Most specialists use folk remedies for symptomatic treatment (elimination of certain symptoms) of this disease. But you need to be clear that:
- it is necessary to treat the disease with folk remedies on the recommendation of a dermatologist;
- it is impossible to cure the disease with folk remedies alone; dermatologists prescribe complex therapy in combination with traditional medicine.