Psoriasis is a dermatological non-infectious disease that rapidly becomes chronic. During the period of exacerbation of psoriasis, flaky, protruding rashes appear above the surface of the skin, causing a lot of inconvenience. Typical areas of psoriasis are knees, elbows, scalp. The spread of the disease occurs throughout the body. Diet for psoriasis can alleviate the course of the disease. Statistics say that 70% of the sick are young people under the age of 20, but absolutely all age categories are prone to psoriasis.
Eating rules for psoriasis
Diet for psoriasis is a medical food, which is recommended to be followed to avoid relapses in the patient. Patients with psoriasis need to monitor their emotional state, check the functioning of the stomach and the entire gastrointestinal tract, eat in small doses (at least five times a day), eliminate allergens, and increase the amount of fluid consumed. Daily stool is an unshakable rule for patients with psoriasis. Stagnation of food in the body contributes to the exacerbation of psoriasis.
To maintain the correct water balance in psoriasis, you must:
- Drink 1. 7-2 liters of purified water daily with the addition of a small amount of lemon juice.
- Reduce consumption of black, green tea. Increase the amount of herbal infusions, especially chamomile, flax seed decoction.
- Include fresh juices (carrots, spinach, celery, apples, parsley, beets) in the diet.
Basic rules of cooking for psoriasis:
- Eliminate fried and fatty foods from the menu. A special place is occupied by boiled dishes, steamed or baked in a food sleeve.
- Reduce the amount of salt.
- Increase your intake of fermented milk products, preferably homemade.
- Limit the amount of condiments to your meals. For health benefits, replace them with lemon juice or a specially prepared sauce (yogurt + herbs + garlic + mustard).
What can and cannot be eaten by psoriasis patients?
Diet for psoriasis implies complete control and adherence to the basic rules of a healthy diet. Few are able to limit themselves, give up their favorite foods, but during the period of exacerbation of psoriasis - this is a hard necessity. The disease is not completely cured. Its course cannot be changed by using only drugs and not adhering to dietary treatment. Knowledge of which food products are allowed for consumption, which must be completely excluded during an exacerbation of psoriasis, can alleviate the patient's well-being, and reduce the main symptoms.
List of allowed and prohibited products
With psoriasis, you need to adhere to these dietary rules:
- Eat more greens (lettuce, parsley, dill, green onions), fresh fruits, vegetables. They contain a whole storehouse of vitamins.
- Eat more often boiled or steamed dishes of fatty fish (salmon, salmon).
- Eat heavily porridge - buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, wheat or any other.
- Add vegetable oil containing PUFA to food.
- Saturate the diet with lingonberries or blueberries. These small balls have long been considered the leaders among the berries for relieving psoriasis symptoms.
People with such a disease should be categorically excluded from the diet or reduced:
- Consumption of coffee, strong teas.
- The amount of fatty meat.
- The amount of alcohol consumed.
- Consumption of spicy or salty condiments, vinegar.
- The amount of honey, sugar, baked goods eaten.
- The share of strong meat broths, sauces in the diet.
- Eating any smoked products.
Sample menu for a week
Having compiled a diet menu for a week (5 days), it is easier to see which products need to be purchased, and to avoid emergency snacks with foods prohibited for psoriasis. Diet in the treatment of psoriasis is essential. Failure to comply with it aggravates the course of the disease. Remember to drink 1 glass (or more) of purified cool water between meals. Dinner should be no later than three hours before bedtime.
- Breakfast - buckwheat porridge + a small piece of butter + dried fruits. Weak tea with a slice of hard cheese.
- 2nd breakfast (after 2 hours) - an apple, banana or other fresh fruit that does not cause allergies.
- 3rd breakfast (after 2 hours) - cottage cheese seasoned with low-fat sour cream + fruit.
- Lunch - salad (fresh vegetables + a spoonful of olive oil), vegetable soup, side dish with a low-fat boiled piece of meat, bread.
- Afternoon snack - fruit.
- Dinner - porridge with stewed vegetables + bread. After 1. 5 hours, low-fat kefir + cookies.
- Breakfast - oatmeal with raisins and a piece of butter, bread, 1 glass of rosehip drink.
- 2nd breakfast - low-fat kefir.
- 3rd breakfast - fresh fruit.
- Lunch - salad (fresh vegetables, dressing with olive oil and lemon juice). Second chicken broth soup. Puree with a slice of steamed fish. Bread.
- Afternoon snack - cottage cheese with fresh fruit, seasoned with yogurt.
- Dinner - buckwheat porridge with butter without meat + steamed vegetables.
- Breakfast - an omelet of two eggs. Cocoa, butter and hard cheese sandwich.
- 2nd breakfast - fresh fruit.
- 3rd breakfast - a glass of kefir.
- Lunch - salad with fresh vegetables + salad dressing (greens, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic). Borscht with beef broth. Rice porridge with steamed cutlet. Bread.
- Afternoon snack - a few baked apples.
- Dinner is a vegetable stew. A piece of rye bread.
- Breakfast - low-fat cottage cheese, seasoned with sour cream + raisins. A glass of freshly squeezed juice.
- 2nd breakfast - fresh fruit. Compote with dried fruits.
- 3rd breakfast - 1 boiled egg.
- Dinner - ear. Steamed chicken cutlets + vinaigrette. Bread. Herbal chamomile tea
- Afternoon snack - dried fruit compote. Marshmallow without chocolate.
- Dinner - a piece of steamed salmon + oatmeal with a piece of butter. Bread. Weak green tea.
- Breakfast - pumpkin milk porridge with dried apricots and raisins. Bread. Compote with dried fruits.
- 2nd breakfast - freshly squeezed juice + scrambled eggs from 2 eggs.
- Lunch - mashed zucchini soup. Pilaf, not fried. Bread. Rosehip decoction.
- Afternoon snack - a glass of yogurt (fermented baked milk or kefir) + two baked apples.
- Dinner - curd casserole. Compote or chamomile tea.
Cottage cheese casserole
Prepare 1 kg of low-fat cottage cheese + 4 eggs + 1 cup semolina + half a cup of steamed raisins + 5 tbsp. l. sugar + a pinch of salt and vanilla. Rub the cottage cheese thoroughly through a sieve, add eggs beaten with sugar, mix. Pour semolina, salt, vanilla to the curd mass. Stir with a spoon or mixer, let stand for half an hour. Put the resulting mass on a greased form. Bake with or without the lid closed (about half an hour at medium temperature). Allow casserole to cool before use. A healthy dessert for the duration of the diet is ready.
Milk pumpkin porridge with raisins is a healthy sweet dish for a psoriasis patient
You will need: half a kilogram of pumpkin, 2/3 cup of rice, half a liter of milk, half a glass of raisins, salt, sugar, vanillin to taste. Peel the pumpkin from seeds and skins. Cut into small cubes or strips. Pour halfway with water. When it becomes soft, knead it well, pour in milk. Add prepared rice (soak 2 hours in advance, rinse), salt, sugar. Pour in washed raisins and vanilla 15 minutes before turning off. Add a piece of butter to the ready-made porridge. Put in the oven for 15 minutes - the dish will be more aromatic and tender.
Zucchini soup with hard cheese
To prepare tender spring soup you will need:
- 1 liter of purified water;
- 2 zucchini (up to 20 cm long);
- 5 pieces of potatoes;
- 1 tspfinely grated ginger root;
- hard cheese (1 tbsp. l. per serving);
- 1 tbsp. l. olive oil;
- fresh or dry herbs (parsley, dill, celery);
- salt to taste;
- spices (bay leaf, cardamom).
Pour chopped potatoes and zucchini into boiling water. Pass the coriander, mashed in a mortar, grated ginger for 30 seconds. Place with ready-made vegetables, boil for 1 minute, turn off heat. Drain the excess liquid into a separate bowl. Grind the boiled vegetables with a blender, gradually adding the vegetable broth until the desired consistency is obtained. Add salt and herbs. Bring to a boil, turn off. Soup-puree, laid out in portioned plates, sprinkle with grated hard cheese to taste. The first dish for the patient's diet is ready.
Oatmeal with dried fruits
A useful, quick dish for a psoriasis patient is oatmeal. You need to take half a glass of oatmeal. Pour them into boiling water (1 glass), add raisins, dried apricots or other dried fruits (any fresh or frozen fruit), salt, sugar to taste. Turn off the fire. Add a piece of butter. Let it brew for 15 minutes. Diet breakfast or dinner is ready.
The principles of nutritional therapy according to different methods
Common diets for treating people with psoriasis are the Pegano method. Two nutritionists agree that in order to avoid relapses and worsening of the condition, psoriasis patients should maintain the acid-base balance of the body in ratios of 20% to 70% or 30% to 80% and follow the basics of proper nutrition. Let's take a closer look at both diets.
According to the Pegano method
Dr. John Pegano has developed a diet treatment for psoriasis patients in which vegetables and fruits are grouped to help regulate acid-base balance. He believes that raw apples, bananas, and melons are best consumed in small doses, separately from other food elements. Small portions should be eaten currants, plums, avocados, beans, cranberries, dried beans, mushrooms, prunes, lentils, rhubarb, almonds, hazelnuts. It is advisable to take 1 tbsp five days a week. l. lecithin (granular). After eating, a slight feeling of hunger must be present.
In his diet for psoriasis, up to 80% of the food consumed includes:
- purified water (up to 8 cups per day), as an addition to other liquids;
- fruits, vegetables, but not canned. Baked apples, dates, apricots, figs, raisins, kiwi, mangoes, pears are especially useful for patients with psoriasis. Vegetables - asparagus, carrots, cabbage, beets, celery, onions, olives, pumpkin, zucchini. This is the basis of dietary nutrition for psoriasis.
About a third of the diet of a patient with psoriasis should be:
- cereals in the form of cereals - buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, barley, rye;
- whole grain bread, bran, crispbread, sprouts;
- fish dishes (at least four times a week): tuna, cod, flounder, perch, sturgeon, trout;
- bird - up to three times a week (without skin);
- meat (exclusively lean lamb) - up to twice a week;
- skim milk, fermented milk products, butter, cheese, cottage cheese;
- eggs (only hard-boiled or soft-boiled) - up to four times a week;
- decoctions of chamomile, watermelon seeds, mullein.
Treatment of a patient with psoriasis with a diet according to the Pegano method excludes the combination with each other:
- whole grains with citrus fruits (not only fresh, but also dried, stewed) and juices;
- dairy products with citrus fruits, juices;
- all kinds of fruits with white flour products;
- in one serving of food a large number of acid-forming foods.
According to the dietitian method
In the treatment of psoriasis with a diet, another nutritionist combines food with herbal decoctions. According to her method, the diet completely excludes all citrus fruits (except for grapefruit), strawberries, beans, raspberries, avocados, strawberries, pomegranates, lentils, peas. Allowed grapes (in small quantities), cabbage (any portions). Green beans, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, garlic, onions, spinach, cucumbers, pumpkin are recommended to be consumed with short breaks. Bananas, melons, and raw apples are eaten separately from other foods. They drink mineral water every day.